Quarantine hobbies fill down time

By Josie Salinas

In March, 2020, COVID-19 changed the lives of billions of people around the world. Students were forced to take class from home, and were quarantined with their families. Instead of spending the summer playing outside and going on vacations, kids were left struggling against boredom being inside. 

All over the world, people have tried their hand at baking, crafting, knitting, or just about any other activity to ward off boredom. But what have Shortridge students been doing to pass the time?

Once schools were closed, many students were left with nothing to do at first. However, humans have a need to keep busy, so they couldn’t stop themselves from finding something to do. Many have found themselves falling back into old habits and attempting to find new hobbies. 

“I mostly just restarted old hobbies such as drawing and taking care of chickens,” Mercy, a sophomore at Shortridge, said. “My family used to have a garden and this year when we finally had time we started it up again.”

Mercy’s chicken, Ginger

“I rediscovered these things because art tends to help me feel better, our chickens we got because my sister needed emotional support chickens, and we also began our garden again because we realized there would be a produce shortage especially during this pandemic.” Mercy said.

Of course, this time at home also gave people, well… time. Time to play that game their friend suggested, or catch up on a show. While they couldn’t go to a movie theater, there was time to watch whatever they could find on their streaming app. 

“One of the hobbies I obtained during quarantine was one of my recent pastimes which is watching anime.” Xavier, a Shortridge student said. “I have been suggested anime for a long time but with my recent excess of free time due to quarantine I managed to make time to get caught up on a lot of anime which are considered to be main ones to watch in the anime community.”

Although staying at home has proven to have negative affects on mental health, as shown by the CDC, improving skills and discovering new ways to stay entertained eases the negative feelings.

Xavier said his hobby will stick around.

“This pastime turned into a hobby even though it was out of boredom originally,” he said. “Once the pandemic ends I will continue to watch anime because it has become something I really appreciate and enjoy as entertainment.” 

Students around the world have had to adjust to not only a new learning environment, but also a new normal. But Shortridge students have found ways to keep positive during this roller-coaster of a year.