Anime Weekly: Week 2 – Romance

Story by Mi-Corazon Richme

Ao Haru Ride

Anime Name: Ao Haru Ride/Blue Spring Ride

Author: Io Sakiska

Studio: Production I.G

Genres: Romance, Drama, Comedy, School, and Slice of Life

Anime Description: Futaba Yoshioka is a 16-year-old high school student who attempts to fit in with her female friends by acting “unfeminine”, due to history her female classmates ostracize her out of jealousy. As a result, she feels her life is uninteresting. One day, she reunites with Kou Tanaka, her first love who had previously moved to Nagasaki in middle school. Kou, who now uses the surname “Mabuchi”, has become a completely different person than she knew back then, as he is now cold and indifferent. When the new school year starts, Futaba decides to make a positive change for herself and volunteers to become the class representative. She is joined by Kou and her classmates, Yuri Makita, Shuko Murao, and Aya Kominato, who all form a bond together.

Characters:

Futaba Yoshioka is voiced by Maaya Uchida, Futaba was an outcast in middle school because the girls were jealous of her popularity with boys. Determined to have friends in high school, she forces herself to be as unattractive as possible for her classmates’ approval. After reuniting with Kou, she decides to be true to herself.  

Kou Mabuchi is voiced by Yūki Kaji, Kou attended the same middle school as Futaba, where he later moved to Nagasaki and changed his name from Kou Tanaka. After reappearing at Futaba’s high school, he has become more pessimistic after his mother’s death, and later distances himself from Futaba to take care of Yui.

My Rating: 8/10

Op Rating: 7/10

Ed Rating: 6/10

Art: 8/10

My Opinion: This for me is one of the animes that needed more to the anime to become a fan favorite. I think maybe one or two more seasons and then more people would be talking about it. I liked the main characters because they had a simple love story, but the use of their past and the art make the anime stand out. This anime is very enjoyable and funny with how both 

Image result for Ao Haru Ride
Image result for Ao Haru Ride
Image result for Ao Haru Ride

Chuunibyou demo koi ga shitai!

Anime Name: Chuunibyou demo koi ga shitai!/Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions

Author:Torako/ Nozomi Ōsaka

Studio: Kyoto animation

Genres: Romantic comedy, Slice of life, Drama

Anime Description: Yūta Togashi is a boy who, during junior high school, suffered from “chūnibyō“, believing that he possessed supernatural powers and calling himself the “Dark Flame Master”, therefore alienating himself from his classmates. Finding his past embarrassing, Yūta attempts to start high school where he does not know anyone, free from his old delusions. This proves to be difficult, however, as a delusional girl in his class, Rikka Takanashi, learns of Yūta’s past and becomes interested in him. 

Characters: Yūta Togashi is voiced by Jun Fukuyama, Yūta is a first-year high school student who used to be delusional, calling himself the “Dark Flame Master” while in junior high and becoming alienated from everyone as a result. He attempts to bury his past by enrolling in a high school far away from his junior high classmates. 

Rikka Takanashi is voiced by Maaya Uchida, Rikka is Yūta’s classmate and neighbor residing above Yūta’s apartment. She is an intensely delusional girl who believes herself to possess a “Wicked Eye” ( Tyrant’s Eye of Truth), and as such always wears a medical patch over her right eye and wrapped bandages around her left arm, though she has no injuries to either. Despite being quite attached to Yūta, she is cautious of strangers and adopts a battle pose whenever she meets someone for the first time. Her fantasy weapon of choice is a frilly parasol which she wields as a sword. For her delusional operations, she often dresses in a mostly-black gothic dress. At school, she wears a uniform with a frilly skirt, long black knee socks, and shoes that sometimes function as roller shoes. She is also rather clumsy, often tripping over and forgetting things.

My Rating: 9/10

Op Rating: 6/10

Ed Rating: 8/10

Art: 9/10

My Opinion: This anime is very funny and relatable because I know everyone thought at least once that they wanted superpowers even if they had to pretend that they had. The main character is very enjoyable to watch because of his lifeless responses to his best friend and then the exaggerated responses to Rikka. The fight scenes are very good for a romance and the two main characters’ love is a bit awkward in the anime, but it makes it more fun.

Image result for Chuunibyou demo koi ga sshitai!

Nisekoi

Anime Name: Nisekoi

Author: Naoshi Komi

Studio: Shaft

Genres: Romance, Harem, Comedy, Shounen

Anime Description: Nisekoi follows high school students Raku Ichijo, the son of a leader in the Yakuza faction Shuei-gumi, and Chitoge Kirisaki, the daughter of a boss in a rival gang known as Beehive. They unexpectedly meet when Chitoge hops a wall and knees Raku in the face. After she runs off, Raku realizes he has lost his locket which was given to him by his childhood sweetheart with whom he made a secret promise. After discovering Chitoge is a new transfer student in his class, he forces her to help him look for the locket. During the search, they begin to dislike each other.

Upon returning home, Raku learns that the Shuei-gumi and Beehive gangs have agreed to settle their feud by pairing their leaders’ children. Raku learns that his girlfriend-to-be is none other than Chitoge. For the next three years, they must pretend to be in a relationship to maintain peace between the gangs. This turns out to be quite a challenging task, not only because of their hatred for one another but also because Raku has a crush on another schoolmate, Kosaki Onodera, whom he secretly wishes was the girl who bears the key to his locket.

Characters:

Raku Ichijō voiced by Kōki Uchiyama, presents himself to be quite civilized and highly artistic, except when he encounters a person with a lack of respect or regard for him or others around him. As a child, as evidenced in flashbacks, Raku would go as far as to put himself in difficult situations for others’ benefits. He is kind and considerate as said by most girls and it is also what gets them to fall in love with him. He is easy to get along with and is highly motivated by past actions. He is highly skilled at rough/hard work and is happy to do so, as evidenced in his cooking for his Yakuza clan.

Chitoge is somewhat forgetful, stern, and bold. However, once someone gets to know her better, she becomes very talkative and nice. Similar to Raku Ichijō, Chitoge is the type to go out of her way to help someone. Chitoge is somewhat oblivious when it comes to love and others’ love interests, She is also very athletic. 

My Rating: 8/10

Op Rating: 7/10

Ed Rating: 7/10

Art: 7/10

My Opinion: Ichijō has way too many love interests to pick from, but I think the anime did a good job at letting there be only one main focus every episode to make the final reveal better and more of a surprise. I felt bad for his best friend because he didn’t get enough love in the series even though he was such an important figure. The story was a little confusing because Ichijō only cared about the girl in the past, instead of his relationships in the present so it felt like any girl with a locket could have been his childhood lover. Ichijō and Chitoge have funny backgrounds being the kids of gang leaders and having to be forced into a relationship because of it.

Image result for nisekoi
Image result for nisekoi