Anime Weekly: Week 3: Music

Story by Mi-Corazon Richme

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Aso

Anime Name: Your lie in april/Shigatsu wa Kimi no Aso

Author: Takao Yoshioka 

Studio: A-1 Pictures

Genres: Music, Drama, Romance, School, Shounen

Anime Description: Piano prodigy Kousei Arima dominated the competition, and all child musicians knew his name. But after his mother, who was also his instructor, passed away, he had a mental breakdown while performing at a recital that resulted in him no longer being able to hear the sound of his piano, even though his hearing was perfectly fine. Even two years later, Kousei hasn’t touched the piano and views the world in monotone, and without any flair or color. He was content at living out his life with his good friends, Tsubaki and Watari until, one day, a girl changed everything.

Characters: Kousei Arima is voiced by Natsuki Hanae and is the main protagonist of the Your Lie in April series. Kousei is a teenage boy with short, black hair and blue eyes. When he is not hanging out with Ryota Watari, Tsubaki Sawabe, and Kaori Miyazono, he spends most of his day alone in his thoughts. Kousei is known as a piano prodigy, but due to his mother’s death he has not been able to hear the piano notes, so has not played for over two years. 

Kaori Miyazono voiced by Risa Taneda is the main female protagonist. Kaori has a slender figure with blonde wavy hair and indigo eyes. Kaori is a free-spirited violinist whose playing style reflects on her personality. She is independent, unpredictable, and short-tempered. It is also touched upon that she is passive-aggressive at times. Kaori likes to depend on herself and only herself and can be seen as more of a support for others.

Tsubaki Sawabe voiced by Ayane Sakura is one of the main female characters. Tsubaki has straight chin-length brown hair that curls up at the ends where it is parted down the middle and glowing hazel eyes. She is an outgoing girl who is always willing to help out her friends in their troubles, she is also very athletic and would always invite Kousei to play outside with her when they were young.

Ryōta Watari voiced by Ryōta Ōsaka is one of the main male characters. Watari has medium-length light brown hair that is slightly swept to the right and light caramel brown eyes, which makes him look easygoing and approachable. Watari is a kind, outgoing and friendly boy. He’s a bit of a play-boy, as he seems to prefer girls who are “cute”. Watari is also the captain of the soccer team.

My Rating: 9/10

Op Rating: 10/10

Ed Rating: 8/10

Art: 10/10

Music: 8/10

My Opinion: I loved everything about the opening, story, characters, art, and endings. I think Kousei had a very sad childhood that they used to make the audience feel more emotion towards him, meanwhile having multiple important characters that shaped the series to be very interesting and fun to watch. I liked the art and how the ethnicized brights with color with love and dark colors with sadness brought out a different way that Kousei would express his emotions with the audience. I liked that all of the main characters had an interest in either sports or music because it gave the series a feel of how every character was hard working. The anime did a very good job at showing the fear and nervousness of performing on stage in all of the competitions making it feel more real.

Image result for your lie in april
Image result for your lie in april
Image result for kousei your lie in april on the piano

Fuuka

Anime Name: Fuuka

Author: Kōji Seo

Studio: Diomedéa

Genres: Music, Drama, Romance, School, Shounen, Ecchi

Anime Description: Yuu Haruna moved into town and loves to use Twitter. Out on his way to buy dinner, he bumps into a mysterious girl, Fuuka Akitsuki, who breaks his phone thinking he was trying to take a picture of her. How will his new life change now?

Characters:

Yuu Haruna voiced by Yusuke Kobayashi and Muranaka Tomo is the main protagonist of the Fuuka series. He is also bassist of the band The Fallen Moon.

Fuuka Akitsuki voiced by Lynn is the main female protagonist of the Fuuka anime series. She was the former vocalist and a singer for the band.

Koyuki Hinashi is voiced by Saori Hayami is a popular singer and the childhood friend of Yuu Haruna.

Sara Iwami is voiced by Mikako Komatsu and is the guitarist of The Fallen Moon. She is actually Yuu’s online friend, one of the very few people he was comfortable talking to before he met Fuuka.

Makoto Mikasa is voiced by Soma Saito and is the keyboardist of The Fallen Moon. He is well-liked by his fellow female schoolmates and girls in general.

Kazuya Nachi is voiced by Okitsu Kazuyuki and is the drummer of the band. He later becomes the “leader” of the music band.

My Rating: 8/10

Op Rating: 9/10

Ed Rating: 7/10

Art: 6/10

Music: 8/10

My Opinion: I enjoyed the build up to the creation of the band and can listen to the opening of the anime everytime. I think the relationship of the two main characters was strange because they met because of an accident and with a little bit of miscommunication they end up being close friends. I like all of the band members because they all seem to be the right people for the band that was created off of Fuuka’s love of music. I think it is funny how Yuu is a regular highschool kid, but his childhood friend became a famous singer off a promise that they both made as kids.

Image result for fuuka
Image result for fuuka

Given

Anime Name: Given

Author: Natsuki Kizu

Studio: Lerche

Genres: Music, Drama, Romance, ShoujoAi

Anime Description: Tightly clutching his Gibson guitar, Mafuyu Sato steps out of his dark apartment to begin another day of his high school life. While taking a nap in a quiet spot on the gymnasium staircase, he has a chance encounter with fellow student Ritsuka Uenoyama, who berates him for letting his guitar’s strings rust and break. Noticing Uenoyama’s knowledge of the instrument, Sato pleads for him to fix it and to teach him how to play. Uenoyama eventually agrees and invites him to sit in on a jam session with his two band mates: bassist Haruki Nakayama and drummer Akihiko Kaji.

Characters:

Mafuyu Sato voiced by Yano Shougo is one of the main protagonists alongside Ritsuka Uenoyama in the Given series. He attends the same school as Uenoyama and has an extravagant singing voice. Ever since he asked Uenoyama to fix his guitar upon their first meeting, he has become emotionally attached to Uenoyama. “It was a chance for me to fix the guitar, so I became attached to the summer.” Mafuyu owns a nine-month-old Pomeranian named Kedama.

Ritsuka Uenoyama voiced by Uchida Yuuma is one of the main protagonists of the Given Series. He is a high school student and has a guitar prowess despite being just a high schooler. He is a guitarist with a strong mindset.

Haruki Nakayama voiced by Nakazawa, Masatomo  is one of two deuteragonists and is the bass player in the Given band as well as the oldest of the band members in the Given anime.

Akihiko Kaji voiced by Eguchi Takuya is one of the deuteragonists and is the drummer in Ritsuka’s band in the Given Anime.

My Rating: 9/10

Op Rating: 10/10

Ed Rating: 8/10

Art: 8/10

Music: 10/10

My Opinion: 

Given is a very good anime in that the story is very well put together and the music works with it. I love the opening of the anime and I think it brought life to the music in the anime because the opening was very good so the music had to be better. The Romance in the anime brought out the struggle of relationships in a band because relationships in a band can cause problems. The anime did a good job at explaining the reasons, but it did a good job at showing how you need to break the rules sometimes to be happy. The way they showed the process of creating music was good because it showed how artists in the music field use their emotions to come up with songs.

Image result for given anime
Image result for given anime